- There are many different types of salvia, mostly used for fragrance, decoration, or medicinal purposes. There is one specific species of the “sage-like” herb that has been used recreationally in modern culture for its recently found psychedelic effects: Salvia Divinorium.
- Salvia herb was used in the post-colonial Mazatec period, salvia was not a recorded discovery before 1939 and it wasn’t until the 1990’s that the psychoactive properties were identified in modern culture.
- The herb has been originally used for shamanism, healing, and the exploration of consciousness throughout history until the present.
- The potency of the effective chemical in salvia can vary in cultivation and the effects can vary in quantity and/or severity.
- Research shows that Salvia disrupts the same nerve cell receptors as opiates, though produce different effects such as: hallucinations, disassociation, highly modified visual and spiritual perception.
- The intoxication also varies in the length of time it will affect the user.
- Methods of using salvia are a dried leaf that can be burned then smoked or steeped into a tea; you can also chew the fresh or rehydrated salvia leaf.
- Though it has attracted negative attention from the media, it has not been connected with any pubic issue and the regulation on its legality is determined by each state. In some states, it is legal to buy this herb or concoction made from this herb over the counter.
- Long-term effects of salvia, tested thus far, have been feelings of déjà vu or “flashbacks”, restlessness, depression, anxiety, as well as decreased memory and learning functionality
- Severe mood swings often are a side effect as well as aggression.
Salvia Addicts Can Recover
The first step is detoxification and can take place in a medical or residential setting.
Although it has not been deemed medically necessary to actually qualify for detoxification physically, psychological dependence will require rest and learning how to deal with the cravings. This is ideal for a person who wants to live 100% clean and sober.
After complete detoxification, most salvia addicts who choose complete abstinence have better outcomes committing to a residential treatment center for thirty to ninety days.
There are also no cost 12-self help programs such as Narcotics Anonymous.
If you or your loved one is seeking help Hopelinks is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week – call today 866 806 2821.
We look forward to helping you and your loved one.
STREET DRUGS: a drug identification guide 2010
National Institute on Drug Abuse:
The Vaults of Erowid:
The Salvia Divinorium Research and Information Center: