Anabolic steroids, also referred to as: juice, D-Ball, gym candy, Roids, pumpers, stackers; were created in the 1930’s, and were meant to help deficiencies in bone growth, stimulate appetite, induce male puberty, anemia, osteoporosis as well as treatment for body wasting due to the AIDS virus or cancer.
- There are many different types of steroids that are used for many different reasons. Anabolic steroids were created in the 1930’s, and were meant to help deficiencies in bone growth, stimulate appetite, induce male puberty, anemia, osteoporosis as well as treatment for body wasting due to the AIDS virus or cancer.
- Anabolic steroids are organic compounds that resemble the structure of molecules in the body to treat the medical conditions mentioned.
- Anabolic steroids are used recreationally to enhance performance or combined with other steroids to maximize effectiveness of desired physical stamina.
- Using steroids with out a medical condition can results in a loss of lean muscle mass and/or an impotence disorder. The effects can be extremely dangerous.
- Some of the harmful effects are liver damage, jaundice, fluid retention, high blood pressure, simultaneous increase of bad cholesterol and decrease of good cholesterol, kidney tumors, acne, and cancer.
- Steroids were meant for physical transformation, there are gender-specific side effects including infertility, baldness, and development of breasts for men; and in women, facial hair, male-pattern baldness, changes in menstrual cycle, and deepened voice.
- Steroids where first used in athletics in the late 1950’s and were even used in Olympic evens.
- In the U.S., the use of steroids without a prescription for a medical condition is strictly illegal.
- Signs someone you love is using steroids are: aggressive mood swings, development acne or oily skin, persistent bad breath, inconsistent sleep patterns, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, poor decision making, isolation, depression, and mysterious behavior.
Steroid Addicts Can Recover
The first step is Detox: Although a continual use of steroids is very dangerous, discontinuing its use with out doctor supervision can cause problems of its own. There are prescribed medications that assist with the extreme hormonal imbalance while natural hormones return to normal levels more smoothly.
Physical activity is also highly recommended when detoxing from steroids. This promotes endorphin levels, which in turn help with depression and regular organ function.
Detoxification of steroids can be difficult, and once it is completed there are intensive inpatient or outpatient programs that can help the steroid addict remain abstinent from the use of steroids.
Outside of medical attention, it is encouraged for the steroid addict to participate in programs that are12-step based or abstinent based, such as Narcotics Anonymous.